The Burpee Europe team know that their blight resistant tomato varieties grow so healthily and strong, that you are bound to have a BIG harvest this year!
A GLUT OF TOMATOES?
If you do have a MASSIVE glut of tomatoes, then Burpee Europe has a whole host of recipes to turn your toms into delicious treats for your tum!
‘CRUSH’ VARIETIES TO HARVEST NOW
‘Crimson Crush’ has continued to perform exceptionally well in the UK and was recommended by Which? Gardening as a salad tomato with excellent flavour and garden performance. It was developed in Yorkshire and tested at Bangor University for proven high levels of blight resistance alongside delicious flavour. Suitable for outdoor growing in most European climates including the UK.
‘Rose Crush’ has been selected for its pink colour and outstandingly balanced flavour of umami, sweetness, and acidity. ‘Rose Crush’ is highly blight-resistant and produces a good yield of medium-large beefsteak fruit.
‘Cocktail Crush‘ is the smaller-fruited and sweeter sister line to ‘Crimson Crush’, with a complex tangy finish when eaten. We call it our blight-resistant ‘Ailsa Craig’ — the classic salad tomato with great flavour.
SEASONAL RECIPES FOR YOUR TOMATOES
The Burpee Europe website has some wonderful recipes for tomatoes, the one below is perfect for ‘Crimson Crush’ and ideal for picnics and summer parties!
Tomato Tarte Tatin
- 2 Crimson Crush Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 20 gr Butter
- Pre rolled Shortcrust Pastry
- 2 Slices Goats Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Sprig of thyme
- For the caramel, using a non stick small frying pan & oven proof handle. Place the sugar in a pan until melted and becomes brown then add the butter to form a “glossy sauce “.
- Place the quartered tomatoes neatly on top of the caramel and add a sprig of thyme.
- Cut a disc of the shortcrust pastry and place it on top of the tomatoes, ensuring the pastry is tight and lightly pressed on top of the tomatoes so everything stays compact whilst its cooking.
- Cook in oven at 185 to 190 degrees for 15 to 20 mins or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove carefully from the oven. Remove any excess liquid and turn the Tarte onto a flat plate.
- Simply serve the warm Tarte with a couple of slices of goats cheese and a nice dressed rocket salad.