Winter lawncare

Horticulture News Forums Lawns Winter lawncare

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Newspaper
    Keymaster

The winter can be tough time for lawns. Frost, drought, flooding, and snow cover can all damage your pride and joy. Here are some tips to keep your lawn safe over the winter months

Leslie
    Participant

What fertiliser should I use on my lawn in the winter?

With winter fertilisers phosphate and potassium need to be at increased levels because these elements will encourage the growth of roots. During winter you do not want to encourage rapid grass growth so look for a fertiliser with a low nitrogen level.

Leslie
    Participant

Can I scarify my lawn in the winter?

The best time to scarify a lawn is at the beginning of the season or near the end of the season. This gives the lawn the best chance to recover from what is a pretty vigorous activity. However, some would argue that if we are having a mild and wet winter then the grass would easily recover quickly. Also it could be argued that in the winter months the lawn has a lower foot fall and could recover better than when in heavy use in the spring. Either way it pays to go by the conditions rather the time of year. Some sports turf surfaces have quite heavy use in the winter so scarification is out of the question but for the average domestic lawn I would say if we are having a mild spell in late November or February then go ahead. If your lawn has bad moss and thatch then it is worth remembering that you are going to have to overseed after the process and if you scarify say, just before Christmas, then you are not going to be able to do that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Weather Icon
Local Gardener NEWSPAPER
Logo
Register New Account
Name (required)
Member type

What best describes you

Clear
Website
Phone number
Business description (required)
Reset Password