The Burpee Seeds Europe have the perfect courgette and recipe to shout about on this ‘National Vegetarian Week’.
Courgette ‘Butterstick’ is a beautiful summer hybrid variety that has prolific plants with single-stem habit and a long harvest period. It has superb performance, flavour, and wide adaptability.
Germination: Up to 21 days
Harvest: June – September
‘Butterstick’ is the variety used in this lovely vegetarian recipe below devised for Burpee by the chef Valerie Hamelin.
Courgette Ribbon Salad Recipe
Using a vegetable peeler, ribbons are created for this fresh, raw and simple salad, it is so tasty! Topped with crumbled goat’s cheese, mixed seeds & dried fruits.
Serves 4 people
- 3 ‘Butterstick’ courgettes
- 100g Goat’s cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Mixed seeds & dried fruits (cranberries, raisins & dried apricots)
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 2 Tsp. Honey
- 3 Tbsp Virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts (toasted)
- Sourdough croutons – a loaf of sourdough bread cut into slices and diced on a tray, with olive oil & Maldon sea salt- Bake until golden brown
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Pea shoots & purple radish salad – garnish
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chive batons
- In a bowl, pour the lemon juice, honey and season with salt and pepper. Whisk the olive oil then add the chive batons.
- Using a peeler, make ribbons of the courgettes.
- Tip the ribbons into the dressing and toss the rest of the ingredients (toasted pine nuts, the sourdough croutons and the mixed seeds & dried fruits)
- Serve immediately on a platter and top with crumbled goats cheese.
- Garnish with pea shoot cress & purple salad.
- Delicious! Enjoy on a summer’s sunny day with a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc