The official countdown to the 25th December has begun, and it’s time to turn up the Christmas cheer. As we embrace the season of decorating our homes indoors and out, there is one key ingredient which is certain to bring the magic to life – lights!
According to new research by Censuswide for Dobbies, a third of Brits (33%) rank Christmas lights as a top festive essential, second only to presents (40%). In the survey, which explored the Christmas trends and opinions of over 2,000 UK adults, lights are deemed to be even more important than the turkey (32%) and Christmas films (31%) within the top 10 Christmas essentials.
A central element in the festivities, the research also revealed that putting up the Christmas lights sparks the most joy during the period for a fifth (20%) of households across the UK.
Not your average garden centre, Dobbies has everything you need to put on an extra dazzling display this December and add some sparkle to your home, with bold decorations for maximum impact.
Find something for every space, whether it is for the inside of your home, to dress the front porch, or transform your garden into a magical Santa’s grotto on your doorstep. From multi-function string lights, Santa stop here signs, LED wicker reindeers, to an inflatable giant Santa which little ones are sure to love.
Trend insight…Dobbies most popular Christmas light of 2020 so far is the Twinkle effect Christmas snowman, bringing festive cheer to lighting displays across the country!
Prepare for the Christmas switch on…
Outdoor LED bear £59.99
Indoor hanging LED paper star £6.99 each
LED Colour Changing Snowmen in Round Lantern, 20cm £14.99 LED Wicker Reindeer, Grey, £39.99 – £79.99 LED Santa Scene Water Candlestick, 27cm £14.99
Hanging Copper Star, Battery Operated, 45cm £16.99 Twinkle Effect Christmas Snowman, 80 LED £69.99
Inflatable Santa Light, 1.8m £39.99 Rainbow Starburst Pyramid, 60cm £34.99 Santa Stop Sign with Multicolour Lights, 100cm £19.99
Christmas Buyer at Dobbies, Lynsey Abbott, shares her festive lighting top tips –
- While ‘less is more’ is a good philosophy to adopt when decorating your home, Christmas is the time to throw away the rule book and go for more is more, especially when it comes to outdoor lighting. Transform trees, topiary and bushes with strings or nets of lights, adorning windowsills, and porches with Christmas characters to bring some extra festive cheer.
- It sounds obvious but it’s really important to know whether the lights you are buying are suitable for in or outdoor use. Indoor lights won’t be waterproof or insulated sufficiently so won’t be durable during the winter months and outdoor sets are heavy duty so aren’t right for interiors. If you want your lighting to be flexible so you can create different displays for your décor next year, many lights are suitable for both indoors and out, so be sure to check the usage.
- There are different types of Christmas lighting and although they are all sure to cast a cosy glow, the brightness, style, and usage for each will all vary. This should be clearly marked on packaging so have a quick look into the benefits and features of each before buying to avoid any disappointment when it comes to the big switch on. Decide whether you would like multifunction twinkling lights or static if you prefer a constant lighting effect.
- Lights with a built-in timer are a hassle-free way to make sure your lights are on when darkness falls.
- LED lights come in a great range of colours and are really versatile as they are ideal for use outdoors as well as inside. With the added benefit of being energy efficient, using up to 90% less power than other lights, they are a good option for those who want to keep homes twinkling without worrying about extra household bills.
- If you’re opting for battery opted lights, don’t forget the batteries! In the excitement to get decorations home and on display, this all-important element can all to often get left off the shopping list.
In line with government guidelines, Dobbies garden centres in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland remain open. Visit the Dobbies website to find your nearest store, shop the online Christmas collection and be inspired with even more helpful seasonal advice and festive recipes ideas, www.dobbies.com.