THE GARDEN Centre Association (GCA) has announced today (August 11, 2017) the names of the finalist garden centres in its Ruxley Rose competition.
The 20 centres all received top scores in the spring bedding and hardy nursery stock categories from the GCA’s spring inspections and have now been put through for autumn judging.
Iain Wylie, GCA Chief Executive, said: “Our member garden centres received visits from our inspectors throughout the spring and their findings have determined 10 finalists in the Garden Centre (GC) category and 10 finalists in the Destination Garden Centre (DGC) category, who will go through to the autumn competition.
“Our Ruxley Rose judge, Roger Crookes, will visit the centres again in September to see how members are continuing to promote and sell plants during the autumn selling season.
“Roger will be looking for excellent quality, range and presentation of plants. Layout of the plant area is also considered, including overall impression, access and use of demonstration areas.
“Staff at our member garden centres are also judged on their knowledge and customer care, the promotions they run and special features, such as new varieties.
“A winner from each category will be determined and announced during our annual conference at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon from January 21 until 24.”
The finalists in the Garden Centre category are:
- Cowell’s Garden Centre in the North East
- Fairways Garden Centre – Ashbourne in the Midlands
- Fron Goch Garden Centre in the North West
- Garden Wise (Dumfries) Ltd in Scotland
- Mains of Drum Garden Centre Ltd in Scotland
- Meadow Croft Garden Centre in North Thames
- Pacific Nurseries in the Midlands
- Planters at Bretby Ltd in the Midlands
- Stratford Garden Centre in the Midlands
- Sunshine Garden Centre in North Thames
The finalists in the Destination Garden Centre category are:
- Aylett Nurseries Ltd in North Thames
- Barton Grange Garden Centre in the North West
- Bents Garden & Home in the North West
- Bicester Avenue Garden Centre in North Thames
- Burston Rose and Garden Centre in North Thames
- Pennells Garden Centre – Lincoln in the Midlands
- Perrywood Garden Centre & Nurseries Ltd in North Thames
- Simpsons Garden Centre in Scotland
- Squires Garden Centre – Twickenham in North Thames
- Woodlands Nurseries in the Midlands.
Iain added: “This prestigious competition aims to inspire our member garden centres to maintain best practice at all times and have centres that are inviting and attractive to customers. It is a competition that our members work hard towards throughout the year.
“Members also benefit simply from having a visit from Roger to give them practical advice on achieving best practice as well as showcasing their own innovative sales initiatives.
“Congratulations to those garden centres and their teams who have made it through and good luck and best wishes to them all for the next stage of the judging process.”
The GCA represents nearly 200 garden centres nationwide.
Through sharing information and its inspection programme the GCA helps members to achieve high standards in customer service, plant quality and reliability.
For further information, please call 01244 952170. Alternatively, please visit www.gca.org.uk, log on to www.facebook.com/pages/GardenCentreAssociation or follow the organisation on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GC_Association.